How To Approach and Understand the Quran
Nav:Home > Religion & Spirituality > Islam > How To Approach and Understand the Quran
Press: Al-Basheer Publications & Translations (August 11, 1999)
Author Name:Zarabozo, Jamaal Al-Din M.
How the Quran should be approached & the main teachings of the Quran.
The work also offers a lengthy discussion of the proper sources of tafseer or Quranic commentary.
One reviewer wrote of this work, "It will be useful reading for all Muslims, new converts and those who have been practicing for years.
As I was reading, I found passages that built such a powerful crescendo of argumentation and commentary, that I was deeply touched."
Religion & Spirituality,Islam,Quran
PDF Download And Online Read: How To Approach and Understand the Quran
Comment List (Total:5)
- This book is not solely a collection of virtues of reciting the Qur'an. This book is not a reference on the sciences of the Qur'an ('Ulum al-Qur'an). Rather, it is a book that strives to build the relationship between the reader and the Qur'an; it sets a perspective for him and makes him realize what he is about to engage in.The author discusses the manners (aadab) of reading the Qur'an and its relationship to benefiting from it, like the proper time, place, posture, and intention. He discusses the change brought by the Qur'an among the Arabs and then tackles the issue of why does not the Qur'an have the same effect today? Was the physical presence of the Prophet Muhammad the key or is it something else?The book aims to give the reader the major goals of the Qur'an, it instructs him in what the Qur'an is trying to achieve so he may not be sidetracked. The author discusses the secondary reasons for which many people generally read the Qur'an like reciting it merely for blessing, or using it as source of healing for physical ailments, or studying its scientific miracles, or studying it as a source of culture, or reciting it as a protection from evil. He then turns on to explaining the primary reason for its revelation: teaching the creation about Allah, His oneness and attributes, showing the creation the Path and way of life that is pleasing to Allah, creating the complete and balanced Islamic individual, bringing about an Islamic society, guiding Muslims in their struggle against the enemies of Islam, and imparting proper concept and application of Tauheed.In the end he turns to one of the most important sections of the book: interpreting the Qur'an in a proper manner. Explaining its importance he writes,"If the reader does not apply the proper principles and methodology of Quranic exegesis (tafseer) during his reading and study of the Qur'an, it will be likely that the Qur'an will be saying one thing and guiding him to one path while the reader gets contrary ideas from it and thereby, follows a way other than the one that Allah is showing him in the Qur'an."He then delves into the proper sources and methodology of tafseer.Some of the distinguishing points of this work:(1) He profusely quotes from various scholars of past and present like al-Tabari, al-Razi, al-Ghazzali, Ibn al-Qayyim, Maududi, Qutb, Murad, Israr Ahmad, and others.(2) He painstakingly references the prophetic hadith in his footnotes.(3) The Arabic text of the verses of the Qur'an and hadith are clear and readable.Overall I will recommend this book wholeheartedly to one who would like to study the Qur'an. The book is thought provoking, original, and well written.
- Before I began reading this book, I expected the usual slow read that you find in academic books. However, although undoubtedly academic in nature, the book is very well written, and for the first time since reading such a book, I was actually drawn into the book. I found it very informative, interesting, and very beneficial in understanding how Muslims should approach their holy book. Further, it details information that makes it easy for a non-Muslim to understand the fundamental difference between how a Muslim views his holy book and how a non-Muslim would view his. What's most striking is that there is a great respect by Muslims for their book, as it viewed as the pure word of God, and this shows in how they approach it. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wishes to understand the Muslims' approach to their holy book, as it will likely give much insight into why the Qur'an is viewed as it is.
- Why does Sura 4:34 order the husband to beat his wife? What do passages such as: . "Slay them wherever you find them. Fight against them till idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme" (Sura 2:190) and "Seek out your enemies relentlessly" (4:103), "Make war on them till idolatry shall cease and God's religion shall reign supreme" (8:36) mean? The truth is such intolerance, hatred and bigotry simply cannot be reconciled no matter how one sits or how one prays or how one understands them. It doesnt matter that a Muslim thinks this is the word of god, since its obvious to most people that no god would order his people to kill the rest of the world. However we are making a presumption here, namely that the Koran can coexist in the modern world, which, aside from as a historical work, it cannot without engendering endless hatred.THe Koran is a historical work and just as we have become used to viewing the Bible as historical and spiritual the only honest way to approach the Koran is through the same method. The Bible has a passage which orders the stoning of Homosexuals and yet no one today would justify that, and therefore we must apply the same logic to Koran, parts of it are outdated and simply are intended for a tribal people living in the desert in the 7th century.This book is propoganda for a convert to Islam.Seth J. Frantzman
- This is one of the best books i read discussing Quran... So clear and comprehensiveHighly recommendIf u want to teach tafseer this will be of great value to teach your students how to approach Quranالله يجزي الكاتب خير جزاء
- One of the user "Al-Qaradawi" has written a review about a book called "The True Furqan (TTF)". It has nothing to do with Quran. Quran is the word of Allah, the creator of all the worlds. But this book (TTF) is nothing but joke! Don't waste your precious time in reading it. There is a contradiction on the very first page i.e. Blessing, ayat 4 contradicts ayat 6. Similarly, Surat Al-Mahabbah, ayat 10 contradicts Surat Al-Thalooth, ayat 2. There is a spelling mistake in Surat Al-Emaan, ayat 6! There are grammatical errors in Surat Al-Tuhr, ayat 10 & Surat Al-Gharaneq, ayat 13! Zero stars for that book! To get the full picture & real truth regarding this book, visit: [...]
- Verzeichniss Und Beschreibung Der in Ihr Aufgestellten Gemälde: Mit Biographischen Und Kunstgeschichtlich-Kritischen Erläuterungen (German Edition)
- Letters On Egypt, Edom, and the Holy Land, Volume 2
- The Ancient History of the Egyptians, Carthaginians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Medes and Persians, Grecians and Macedonians, Volume 2
- Histoire Des Protestants Du Dauphiné Aux Xvie, Xviie Et Xviiie Siècles: Troisième Période: Le Régime De L'édit De Nantes, 1598-1685 (French Edition)
- Plutarch: The Lives, Volume 3
- Luther Im Lichte Der Neueren Forschung: Ein Kritischer Bericht (German Edition)
- The Occult Sciences. The Philosophy of Magic, Prodigies and Apparent Miracles. Vol. I
- The Life of William H. Seward, Volume 1
- Outcome of the Civil War, 1863-1865
- Die Clementinen Nebst Den Verwandten Schriften Und Der Ebionitismus: Ein Beitrag Zur Kirchen (German Edition)
- A Guide to Great Cities for Young Travelers and Others: Northwestern Europe
- The Works of the British Poets: With Lives of the Authors, Volume 42
- Redgauntlet: A Tale of the Eighteenth Century, Volume 2
- The Pictorial Sketch-Book of Pennsylvania
- Novum Testamentum Ad Exemplar Millianum, Cum Emenationibus Et Lectionibus Griessbachii, Praecipuis Et Lectionibus Griessbachii, Praecipuis Vocibus ... Locis Scripturae Parallelis (Greek Edition)
- Foreshadows: Lectures On Our Lord's Parables
- Studien Und Charakteristiken Zur Griechischen Und Romischen Sowie Zur Deutschen Literaturgeschichte (German Edition)
- Essays and Tales in Prose, Volume 2
- Correction and Prevention, Volume 4
- de La Haute Education Intellectuelle (French Edition)
Legal Theory & Systems,Cooking Methods,Physics,Dentistry,Other Team Sports,Infantil y juvenil,Cars, Trains & Things That Go,Christian Denominations & Sects Book,。
FreeBook @ 2018